Tuesday, December 15, 2009

One of my weird little ideas...


Today, I made a little something for a friend of mine for Christmas. He too is an artist. He recently got a computer and a copy of Painter, and so I'm hoping will do some experimentation with it. In any case, I thought I'd mod a flash drive for him for Christmas. So I found a small drive and set about tearing apart an old paint brush. It took a bit of effort and a flat screwdriver to get the bristles out without wrecking the ferrule. I kinda had to work on prying open the ferrule and flattening out the crimping. Eventually (only a couple of swear words later) I managed to get it. Then wth some pliers and a bit of wrestling, I managed to pull out the bristles. There was a silicone casing on the flash drive which I cut off with a knife and then jammed it into the ferrule, just far enough, so that the cap can still fit on. I had to add a bit of glue to the handle where the ferrule joins, because of all my pushing and tugging I guess I loosened it a bit. It was an old brush after all. Then I took my pliers and crimped the ferrule back down around the drive, to keep it in there. I used my dremel, to even out some of the metal (cap on the drive.. to make sure no dust or crap got in). I think it's not too bad so far. I still want to clean it up a bit, but there's the idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment